I was asked by KRQE Channel 13 to discuss efforts by the federal government to take funds from Toby Martinez’ (who stole from taxpayers in the Municipal Courthouse scandal alongside Manny Aragon) pension in order to fulfill Martinez’ restitution requirements. Unfortunately, according to my reading of New Mexico law, the Feds can’t tap Martinez’ pension under New Mexico law despite his criminal conviction. Astonishingly, according to the report, Martinez’ pension is worth upwards of $473,000 which is illustrative of the incredible generosity of New Mexico’s underfunded pension systems. Watch the full interview below:
Search The Site
RGF in the News!
- Ethics Commission is not all it’s cracked up to bePublished on 2018-10-21
- New Mexico’s Permian, San Juan Basins Lead Methane Reductions In WestPublished on 2018-10-19
- Foreign teachers pay dearly to fill empty jobs in New MexicoPublished on 2018-10-11
- Editorial: Gov. should have specified which licenses are in, outPublished on 2018-10-10
- Rio Grande Foundation applauds Gov. Martinez’s executive order on licensing re...Published on 2018-10-04