I was asked by KRQE Channel 13 to discuss efforts by the federal government to take funds from Toby Martinez’ (who stole from taxpayers in the Municipal Courthouse scandal alongside Manny Aragon) pension in order to fulfill Martinez’ restitution requirements. Unfortunately, according to my reading of New Mexico law, the Feds can’t tap Martinez’ pension under New Mexico law despite his criminal conviction. Astonishingly, according to the report, Martinez’ pension is worth upwards of $473,000 which is illustrative of the incredible generosity of New Mexico’s underfunded pension systems. Watch the full interview below:
Search The Site
RGF in the News!
- Lawmaker confident about criminal justice reform’s chances of passagePublished on 2019-01-10
- Press Release: Buckeye InstitutePublished on 2019-01-09
- Forum held on proposed APS tax hikePublished on 2019-01-08
- APS asks public to approve property tax increasePublished on 2019-01-08
- Martinez will leave state better than she found itPublished on 2018-12-30